Cook Time: N/A
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened evaporated milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs, separated (reserve egg whites for meringue, if using)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
- ½ 12-ounce box vanilla wafers (reserve a few for crumbled topping)
- 4 ripe bananas, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar (for meringue, if using)
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and both milks. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Turn the heat to low.
Add the egg yolks and flour to the pan. Stir until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool.
In a large, clear ovenproof bowl or other serving dish, layer half of the cooked custard, then half of the vanilla wafers, then half of the bananas. Repeat the layers. Top with crumbled vanilla wafers. The pudding may also be talked with a meringue, if desired. Set the dish aside.
Preheat the oven to broil.
For the meringue:
Pour the reserved egg whites into a large mixing bowl. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat the eggs whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Chocolate pudding with this meringue. Place the bowl on a lower rack under the broiler and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the meringue browns. Remove the pudding from the oven and enjoy.